Wednesday 3 March 2010

not much going on

The husband is in Italy, we have run out of the bottled gas that we use for our gas hob and I have been eating soup from the freezer (my old friend the jerusalem artichoke again), salad, bread, cheese, toast... all because, with my silly weak body, I can't safely lift a full bottle of gas. So there have been very few food adventures since last week. We were away at the weekend where we had some lovely wedding food (prize-winning bangers and mash! Wonderful!) but not much else of interest. Maybe I'll cook something once our hobs are back in use and I have a husband to cook for/with. Until then, I leave you with a proliferation of speech marks courtesy of the BBC News online last night. What's going on with that?



Plus I have noticed a proliferation of people, journalists that is, misusing the word phased when they actually mean fazed. God, are people educated at all these days? Spellchecker isn't infallible, you know. (Sorry to get all hoity toity but it pisses me off!)

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I fear I am a leader in the overuse of speech marks. Although 'kills 100' is pretty bad. I think I also misuse phased, although I tend to use the word "spaced" instead, which is probably also a misuse of words.

    I'd blame it on state school education but then I think most media types are posh so that's rubbish. Its more that no one can be arsed anymore and write like they are half reclined on a sofa watching TV at the same time.

    I cooked actual food yesterday. Cauliflower risotto. Edible. Slight hitch in that I only had half the recipe....but I am trying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! Yeah, the 'kills 100' is terrible. Either it did or it didn't, or maybe it might not have happened at all?!?

    And since at least two of my old (private school) friends are now working for the Guardian, I think you might have a point about posh media types. I think most writers are lazy and don't really think about what they are putting down. And the reliance on spellchecker is making us careless - it won't pick up that kind of error.

    The cauliflower risotto sounds good - we make Jamie Oliver's version, which is fantastic. Although you won't eat anchovies, of course, but you could leave it out. I think I've written up the recipe on here somewhere...

    nice to see you are alive!

    ReplyDelete