Wednesday 17 February 2010

Chinese New Year


Happy Chinese New Year (OK, OK, a few days late, I know. Forgive me). Since we had a guest (my wonderful brother in law) on Sunday night, we decided to initiate him to the delights of the Chinese dumpling. I have said this before, and I'll say it again - I will write up a recipe one day. I'm just lax and because I improvise, they turn out differently every time. You might be better acquainted with the Japanese version, gyoza, which for some reason have made it into trendier eateries whereas the Chinese type remain largely the preserve of little backstreet places and of course the home.

Normally, and for the sake of our health, we just boil them and eat them with a dip made with vinegar and raw garlic (I like to make a Thai style sweet-hot-sour-salty dip too). The next day, though, because I made heaps and there were leftovers, I fried them for lunch (picture above - don't mind the weird shape of some of them). I cannot describe to you how great that was. Probably the best lunch I've had in months.

2 comments:

  1. These look delicious :D
    Your animations are awesome btw, especially headache hotel. I wish I could animate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! Thanks! they really were delicious. I should eat them more often :-)

    Glad you like the animations - I'm sure you can animate too - it takes a lot of patience but it's easy enough and your characters would be so AMAZING and sweet and wonderful animated, so I really wish you luck with the Maya thing. It's looking so great already, you should try animating them.

    ReplyDelete