Monday 21 September 2009

more...

The congee I made the other day was pretty good. I was really quite impressed with myself. The reason why I have started to make it was because of a wonderful congee experience we had in New York. Now, it's not rocket science making this stuff, it's not clever or difficult. I grew up on the stuff - with meatballs and crispy vermicelli, chicken, dried scallops, salt pork, thousand-year egg, pork liver, whatever... It's the ultimate comfort food. It smells like home. Eaten with hot pickled turnips and pickled tofu, it is the food of the gods. I'm not kidding - rice boiled to within an inch of its life is one of the best things in the world.

So for breakfast we headed out to Chinatown and Big Wong in particular, looking for congee. The restaurant is simple and cheap-looking, just like places in Hong Kong, with water served in plastic tumblers and a bottle of soy sauce on the side - you'd never know from looking at it that it would be worth going inside but with this place it's all about the food. We had one bowl with salt pork and thousand year egg and another with pork meatballs. It was creamy and well seasoned but didn't have the horrid taste of MSG or anything odd. It was like home, where I like my congee with white pepper and soy sauce. It was like balm to a stomach that had been overfed on weird shit the day before.


After that we went in search of bubble tea, a very popular drink in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia. In HK I like what they call 'yin yang' - a mix of tea and coffee, and unsweetened if possible. We didn't get that - I had a sweet milk tea that tasted a bit odd, but it was fun nevertheless to sit in a little candy-coloured shop and suck up the chewy tapioca balls through fat straws.

2 comments:

  1. If only I had known what bubble tea was when I lived in Canada-it was in every tea/coffee shop but I thought it some dodgy american thing (I assumed it was carbonated tea-yuck!).

    So this blog inspired me to go to a little chinese place (there is a shopping centre here that is half chinese/half old fashioned scotland;bizarre!!!) and try the real thing (hot hong kong style pearl tea). I love tapioca and things like that. Wish I could order it into my office-it would be just the thing for writing papers!

    So thanks for opening my mind to something new-the lady at the place selling it loved me ordering it; she got so excited she started recommending me all these strange fried things to eat with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I've never had it hot, only cold. Bet that's quite nice. glad to have inspired a little adventurousness :-) The fried things can be great too, but most Chinese food involves pork, which is no good for you! I wish there were a bubble tea place near me x

    ReplyDelete